Friday, April 20, 2007

Let's get physical

No matter what you think I mean by the title, it should annoy you.

For the first time since I was 12, I used my bike to get somewhere I needed to go to. Okay, that's not quite true. I used it Freshman year at Michigan to get to crew practice a couple times, but it's fun to think about being 12, and it's quite depressing to think about being a Freshman in college.

Today I rode my bike to work. I went from Dupont across Q St and took a right on 7th, down to K St, then over to and down 6th to where I work---about 2 miles. I was planning on leaving at 7:45am because I wasn't sure how long it'd take. Of course, I woke up late and left at 8:00am instead.

It only took me 15 minutes. That's faster than taking the Metro and even faster than driving, I was pretty surprised. Of course, the way back is going to take twice as long because it's uphill, but there's no rush going home.

Not sure why I decided to try this, or while I feel good about it. I certainly don't want to become one of those annoying bikers who complains about how few bike racks there are in this city or how everyone should bike to work to save the environment.

So, I'll leave it at this: let's get physical.

2 comments:

chuck zoi said...

I think you should have addressed the fact that you have a bike in the first place. What is your normal biking activity?

Did you wear a helmet for your commute?

Brice Lord said...

I feel like I sometimes praddle on too much with exposition in my posts so i wanted to jsut get down to business in this one, and look where I end up.

My bike was in my parents' garage for the last, oh, 7 years or so. I haven't ridden it for just as long. I thought it would need major work but the fact that it literally hadn't been touched and was covered the whole time meant that it was nearly road-worthy. I got a new tube for the back tire and the gears greased and the chain fixed and I was all set. I rode it once last week to make sure i remembered how to ride. I did. I guess that saying checks out.

And yes, I did wear a helmet for the commute.